Here’s 5 quick barley facts from an article by the Agricultural Marketing Resource Center. Click the link to learn more about the profile of barley!
- Barley is a short-season, early maturing crop, and is likely the world’s oldest cultivated grain.
- U.S. producers harvested 2.2 million acres of barley in 2020 with an average yield of 77.2 bushels/acre.
- Barley is used for livestock feed, human food, and malt production.
- Barley varieties are classified as either six-row or two-row depending on the physical arrangement of the kernels on the plant.
- The price of all barley in 2020 averaged $4.71/bushel, which resulted in a crop value of $804.5 million.